More

"I am afraid that we'll buy it..."

 

HOW IT ALL BEGAN...

We saw the palace in Kamieniec for the first time in 2007. At the time it made a gloomy impression on us. We thought that only a madman would buy and renovate it. Two years later and we were the madmen, but we never regretted our decision.
The palace was in a terrible condition. Dilapidated from the outside, overgrown with weeds. The windows were broken and patched up with boards, while some were walled up. The roof was covered in bituminous tiling. It was ugly, but in good enough condition so that it protected the building from being completely flooded with rainwater.
The interiors were in a miserable condition. Each room contained tonnes of rubbish: bottles, rags, broken furniture and rubble from installations that had been ripped out. The walls were covered in graffiti and vulgarities.
Kamieniec Palace was a sad and scary place.

 

FAÇADE

The most spectacular stage of the rebuilding was the renovation of the façade.
The old plaster was removed, thanks to which we discovered a cornerstone from 1780, which today is exposed on one of the corners of the building. The brick and stone structure of the walls was revealed.
According to the guidelines of the conservator, restoration plasters were applied. The mouldings decorating exterior walls were almost completely destroyed, and those that remained were not suitable for renovation.
Forms were made based on the old mouldings and new decorative elements were cast with special plaster. All cornices and pilasters were made using conventional techniques.
Then came the day to decide on the colour of the façade. Together with the conservator, we chose gray combined with white stucco, pilasters and window borders.
The south elevation was painted in six different shades of gray and it took us several hours to choose the right one.

 

STAIRS

In 1881, Kamieniec Palace was bought by count Arthur von Seherr-Thoss. Two years later, he added the east wing, to which an elegant staircase was adjoined. The staircase featured beautiful larch stairs leading from the ground floor to the second floor.
When we took over the palace in 2009, the first flight of stairs had already collapsed and they had been stripped of their balusters and handrails. Only a few decorative elements remained, which we used to recreate the whole.
The new stairs are made of oak. All decorations, balusters and handrails have been faithfully reproduced. The whole staircase weighs four tons, has forty-plus steps and is a beautiful decoration of the palace’s interior.